Sept. 11 (UPI) —Star Wars: The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson says he will not replace Colin Trevorrow at the helm of the untitled Star Wars: Episode IX movie.
“It was never in the plan for me to direct Episode IX, so I don’t know what’s going to happen with it,” Johnson told journalists in Japan Monday, The Hollywood Reporter said.
“For me, I was entirely focused on Episode VIII and having this experience. Now I’m just thinking about putting the movie out there and seeing how audiences respond to it. So, no, I’m not really thinking about that right now,” Johnson said. “Whoever does it, I’m going to be really excited to be an audience member again, and to sit down and see what the next filmmaker has to show us and where this story ends up going.”
Lucasfilm announced last week that Trevorrow left Episode IX after the two parties had “mutually chosen to part ways.”
“Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon,” Lucasfilm said in a statement.