April 30 (UPI) — In another departure from the Obama administration, President Donald Trump invited outspoken Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte to the White House during a “very friendly” phone conversation Saturday, the White House said.
Trump has been “speaking a lot to all our partners in southeast Asia,” Priebus added.
Regarding North Korea, which launched a projectile on Saturday in a test that ended in failure, Duterte implored the United States to show restraint, saying the two nations are “playing with their dangerous toys.”
Duterte has not shown restraint in his country’s bloody extrajudicial anti-drug crackdown. He has incited the deaths of more than 7,000 people accused of dealing or using drugs have been killed since he took office last year, Human Rights Watch reported earlier this year.
“By essentially endorsing Duterte’s murderous war on drugs,” John Sifton of Human Rights Watch told the New York Times, “Trump is now morally complicit in future killings.”
A spokesman for Duterte said Saturday that Trump expressed his understanding of challenges facing his Philippine counterpart, “especially on the matter of dangerous drugs.”
After they spoke in December, Duterte said Trump lauded his anti-drug campaign as “the right way.”
The White House said Trump will visit the Phillipines in November. There were no details on when or if Duterte will visit the White House.